Whether you are a casual exerciser or a trained athlete looking to get that competitive edge, squatting is the right exercise for you. Up there in the workout hall of fame with the Dead Lift, the squat is just one of those exercises that hits so many parts of your body, giving you a fantastic workout…with just one exercise.
Studies at Duke University found that when done properly, the squat is incredible at building strength and endurance in the quadriceps, hamstrings and calf muscles but that’s not all! This is where we get a little science-y.
When talking about the All-Star exercises out there in the history of treadmills and dumbbells, the Dead Lift is arguably the best exercise you can do when working out. Out of any exercise or weight lifting technique that you or anyone else knows, the Dead Lift works more muscle per movement than any other exercise - including the beloved squat! From an athlete trying to gain an advantage on the court or field, to someone who just wants to be healthier, the dead lift should not be ignored by anyone. However, with an exercise called the ‘DEAD’ lift, the name is not the most daunting aspect of this exercise. This is one exercise you SHOULD NOT do unless properly ready.
PROPER FORM IS KEY IN BUILDING STRENGTH AND AVOIDING SERIOUS INJURY WHEN DEAD LIFTING!
Everyone is different, so we can’t suggest how much weight to lift the first time you use Vitogo. However, we do tell you how many repetitions you are supposed to do, which will help you determine the appropriate amount of weight to lift. Here’s how:
1) Each exercise in your daily program will tell you how many sets and repetitions to do (For example, 3 sets x 8 reps). The number of recommended repetitions is tailored to your goal.
2) Pick a weight that you think you can safely lift for the recommended number of repetitions (In this case, 8 times).
3) Using the built-in countdown timer, rest for the recommended period between sets.
4) If you are able to easily complete all (or more) of the recommended sets and reps, then you know that you need to increase your weight for next time. If you weren’t able to complete the recommended number of sets and reps, then you should decrease your weight for next time.
5) You should feel tired by the end of your last set. Be safe, but don’t make it too easy! To see a real benefit from strength training, you need to lift weight that is heavy enough to challenge you. For some exercises, like the bench press, it can be helpful to ask a friend or trainer at the gym to “spot” you. It’s the spotters’ job to help you if you are struggling to lift the weight and to keep you safe during a challenging lift.
6) Vitogo stores the number of repetitions and amount of weight that you do for each exercise, so, the next time you complete that exercise you will remember how much weight to lift.
The day you’ve been waiting for is finally here! Vitogo is available in the App Store!
Vitogo is compatible with the iPhone and iPod Touch, so you can bring it to the gym to coach you through every step of your workout. Just like a personal trainer, Vitogo assesses your fitness level and goals to give you a tailored workout program that evolves with you.
We’re very excited to bring you this revolutionary product and we’re hoping that it will help a lot of people achieve their fitness goals. Check out the video below to learn how Vitogo works and head on down to the App Store to download your copy!
There is no way that we could have made this project happen without the enormous effort and support of a lot of people. We’d like to particularly thank Wells Riley. Without Wells, we never would have accomplished so much in such a short period of time. Wells’ inspired design and UI shaped Vitogo and made it better than we could have imagined.
Special thanks to Laura Jud, the brains behind all the awesome tailored workout programs, and to all of the incredible models – Allie, Nikki, Mark, Adam, and Jill – who appear in the exercise videos. Thanks too to SNF Fitness for providing the venue, and to Scott Yates, our videographer.
Thanks to our advisor, Jared Stenquist, for providing us with guidance, support, (and hosting)!
You have been an awesome team to work with over the past several months. Thanks again for all your hard work!
Our videos have made it though post production from our video shoot last week thanks to the hard work of Scott P Yates Photography. Scott did an amazing job as you can see and we can’t recommend him highly enough!
When you’re able to download the Vitogo iPhone app later this fall, you’ll get a workout program designed to help you achieve your fitness goals, and for every exercise included in your workout program there will be a description of how to do the exercise, photos of someone doing the exercise, and a video of someone doing the exercise. Above is a preview of the videos you will see in the app. There is another video for you to check out after the read more link below, so check it out and let us know what you think in comments below.